During the meeting, the leaders plan to discuss a range of issues like climate change, Covid-19 pandemic and challenges in the Indo Pacific amid China’s growing military presence in the strategic region.
Here’s what the four leaders said in their opening remarks at the meeting:
US President Joe Biden
* I welcome PM Morrison, PM Modi and PM Suga to White House for Quad’s in-person meeting.
* When we met 6 months ago, we made concrete commitments to advance our shared and positive agenda for free and open Indo-Pacific. Today, I am proud to say that they are making excellent progress.
The Quad- a force for global good. https://t.co/L6RtzUa5Dl
— PMO India (@PMOIndia) 1632507750000
* This group has democratic partners who share a common world view and have a vision for the future, coming together to take on key challenges of our age.
* Our vaccine initiative is on track to produce an additional 1 billion doses of vaccine in India to boost global supply.
* I firmly believe that Quad will act like a force for global good.
* I believe that our cooperation in Quad will ensure peace and prosperity in the Indo-Pacific as well as the entire world.
* Our four nations met for the first time after 2004 Tsunami to help the Indo-Pacific region. Today, when the world is fighting against Covid pandemic, we have come here once again as Quad for the welfare of humanity.
* Our Quad vaccine initiative will help Indo-Pacific nations.
* Quad decided to go ahead with a positive approach on the basis of our shared democratic values. I’d be happy to discuss with my friends – be it supply chain, global security, climate action, Covid response or tech cooperation.
Australia PM Scott Morrison
* The Quad is about demonstrating how democracies such as ours can get things done.
* There is no part of the world that is more dynamic than Indo-pacific at this time.
* We believe in a free and open Indo-Pacific because we know that is what delivers a strong and prosperous region.
Japan PM Yoshihide Suga
* We have come here for the first in-person Quad leaders’ summit.
* This summit shows the relations shared by our four nations and the commitment we have for a free and open Indo-Pacific region.
* Quad is a very important initiative by the four nations that believe in fundamental rights and are of the view that Indo-Pacific should be free & open.
* Till date, Quad has given its absolute cooperation in big sectors, be it regional challenges or Covid-19.