Facebook and Instagram remove Rahul Gandhi’s posts revealing gang-rape victim’s identity | India News – Times of India

0
22


NEW DELHI: Facebook and Instagram have removed the Congress leader Rahul Gandhi‘s posts on the minor girl from Delhi who was allegedly gang-raped and killed earlier this month.
Sources told TOI that Facebook informed National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR), which had issued notices to it for taking action against Rahul Gandhi’s posts, in this regard. “Facebook and Instagram have removed Rahul Gandhi’s post and informed NCPCR,” the sources said.
In a notice issued to Rahul Gandhi on August 17, Facebook said, “Dear Mr Gandhi, This correspondence follows up regarding our August 16 correspondence in which we forwarded a notice we received from the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) on August 10.”
The notice further said, “According to NCPCR’s August 10 notice, a post you uploaded through your Instagram account is unlawful under Section 74 of the Juvenile Justice Act, 2015; Section 23 of the POCSO Act, 2012; and Section 288A of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). In accordance with NCPCR’s note, you are requested to remove this post expeditiously.”
NCPCR had issued the first notice to Facebook on August 10. However, it did not receive any response from Facebook.
Subsequently, NCPCR issued a second notice to Facebook on August 13 with a stern warning and a direction to appear before it through video-conferencing on August 17.
It said, “The Commission had taken cognisance of a video posted on Instagram profile of Shri Rahul Gandhi wherein the identity of minor girl victim’s family was disclosed… which was observed to be a violation of the prescribed provisions of law. The matter was forwarded to Facebook for removal of the post and taking action against the Instagram profile of Shri Rahul Gandhi within 3 days. However, no reply/action taken report has been received even after the lapse of 3 days’ time.”
NCPCR told Facebook that sections 13 and 14 of the CPCR Act required it to appear in person through video-conferencing in the matter at 5 pm on August 17 to submit the action taken report and to explain reasons for the delay.
Issuing a warning, NCPCR said, “Take notice that if you fail to comply with this order without lawful excuse, you will be subjected to the consequences of the non-attendance as provided in rules 10 and 12 of order XVI of the Code of Civil Procedure (CrPC) 1908.”
Finally, Facebook responded and issued notice to Rahul Gandhi and asked him to remove the controversial post.
After the development in the matter, NCPCR exempted Facebook from appearing before it on Tuesday.
Twitter had already removed the controversial content after locking the handles of the Congress party and its leaders including Rahul Gandhi.
Rahul Gandhi had visited the victim’s family on August 4 to console them. He assured help to them and raised the matter during the Monsoon Session of Parliament which concluded on August 11.
However, he also posted video clips and photographs of the victim’s parents on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
After NCPCR received complaints regarding the alleged violation of laws, it issued notice to Twitter following which Rahul Gandhi’s handle was locked on August 7. Twitter unlocked it after reports appeared in a section of the media suggesting that the victim’s mother had given her consent to Rahul Gandhi for the publication of their photograph.
However, on August 17, the victim’s mother was seen telling another section of the media that she had not given consent to the family’s photographs getting published on Twitter. The issue has taken a new turn since then with the BJP demanding that Twitter should lock Rahul Gandhi’s profile again.
Though Twitter unclocked Rahul Gandhi’s handle on August 14, he has not tweeted since August 6. He is instead using other social media platforms such as Instagram, Facebook and YouTube to put his views across.





Source link

Share this